Introduction and Index
This page contains web links of general interest to the BCAN
community, and to anyone involved in Christian social action in the
- Addiction Arena: primarily publicity for books on
addiction produced by several related publishers, but also
provides some interesting news, links and other resources.
- Addiction Today: the journal of the Addiction Recovery
Foundation, a UK based charity dedicated to providing current
information on the treatment and recovery from addictions and
- NTA: the National Treatment Agency for Substance Misuse.
The NTA aims to increase the availability, capacity and
effectiveness of treatment for drug misuse in England.
- Centre for Economic and Social Inclusion: this is an
independent, not-for-profit organisation working with
Government, the voluntary sector, business and trade unions.
All their information is available on the Internet, but to get
the up to date news you have to subscribe.
- DrugScope: "informing policy,
- Health & Safety Executive: the alcohol and drugs
- New Scientist Cannabis Articles: an informative and
helpful collection of relatively impartial research.
- South West Drug Strategy: the Government Office of the
South West ('GOSW') have produced this informative site.
- Tackling Drugs: the cross-government national drug
strategy website for drug prevention and treatment
professionals and others interested in drug strategy.
- Using Heroin: the Joseph Rowntree Foundation are
conducting research into people who use heroin infrequently or
in small amounts over long periods of time, and this web site
contains a survey as one part of that research.
- Black Development Agency ('BDA'): exists to empower Black
and Minority Ethnic communities by building up their skills,
ability and capacity to enable a sustainable Black Voluntary
and Community Sector.
- BMEspark: registering here gives you access to a useful
site providing information on anti-discriminatory practice and
culturally sensitive provision of services, with a focus on
black and minority ethnic needs.
- Voscur Equalities Network: for groups working with
Women, Disabled people, Black and Other Minority Ethnic
Communities, Lesbians and Gay Men, Young people and Older
- Ask Bristol: sign up to to give your views on issues that
affect your life in bristol.
- Beaming: the news and media site of the Bristol
- CARELINKuk: a comprehensive, open-access, fully
searchable, web-based directory of caring services in the UK.
- Charities Evaluation Service: this is the main source of
information on evaluation and quality in the voluntary sector.
- Charity Logistics: Charity Logistics exists to serve its
members by providing cost savings on goods and services. They
also offer advice and help across a range of issues that
affect their members. Membership is free and open to charities
and most not for profit organisations.
- Compact: the Compact is the agreement between the
Government and the whole Voluntary and Community Sector made
- CSIP Knowledge Community: the Care Services Improvement
Partnership supports positive changes in services and in the
wellbeing of vulnerable people with health and social care
- Health and Safety Information: for employers in the
Community and Voluntary Sector. Useful information provided by
- National Hubs:
"improving support for the
voluntary and community sector."
- Social Economy Bristol:
click on "Feedback & Mailing
List" to get yourself added to the useful email list they
- Quartet Community Foundation: the new name for the
organisation that used to be the Greater Bristol
Foundation. They "connect those who require financial help
with those who wish to offer financial help".
- The Big Leap: a campaign to encourage everyone to give
their extra 'leap year' day in 2004 to charity.
- Voluntary Sector Skills: information and news on
workforce skills development within the voluntary and
community sector - for paid staff, volunteers and trustees.
- Voscur: the voice of Bristol's voluntary and community
sector. They also issue a free regular email letter - go to the Weekly updates page and follow the link to sign up.
Global Issues Forum
The Global Issues Forum has its own links page.
Homeless Forum Links
- Caring at Christmas: helping the homeless at Christmas and
throughout the year.
- Cold Weather
Group: a Bristol based charity that was set up in 1991 as
an alliance of groups and individuals with the aim of
increasing co-ordination and provision for homeless people
sleeping rough in Bristol during the winter months.
- Crisis Centre Ministries: bringing God's grace and
healing love to people with life-disrupting problems.
- Easton Salvation Army: a comprehensive site describing
many aspects of the work they do, including the soup run and
lunches for the homeless.
- Emmaus: Emmaus offers homeless people a place where they
can feel safe and secure, where they can enjoy companionship
and the support of a community.
- Caring in Bristol: a resource for agencies and other
organisations who work with homeless people in and around
- Homeless Research: a site for the dissemination of
research into homelessness by UK academics, and a convenient
link to other sites of interest for those concerned with the
problems of homelessness.
- Homelessness Act: this site covers the
provisions of the Homelessness Act 2002 and related
legislation. This is an excellent resource,
courtesy of Shelter. You need to register, but it is free, and
then you can subscribe to some of the discussion forums. Subscribers
can choose to receive weekly emails informing them of new
- Off the Streets and into Work: this is a London-based
charity which helps people who are homeless, or at risk of
becoming homeless, to rebuild their lives through learning new
- Shelter: the national Homelessness charity.